is the oldest surviving medical society in this country - possibly in the world. It was founded in 1773 by the Quaker physician and philanthropist Dr John Coakley Lettsom for physicians, surgeons and apothecaries who met to exchange medical news and confer about difficult cases. The Society’s wide appeal, the possession of a valuable library and freehold property ensured its success and longevity.
Originally based in the City, the Medical Society moved to its present house in 1873. Situated at the heart of London’s medical community, the Society organises a stimulating programme of lectures and social activities while providing a home for other societies.